Thursday, February 17, 2011

My Rollercoaster Ride

MY DAY
I think of my day cycle similar to the chart below.  We can see the building of energy and optimism, but at a certain point, something happens that triggers a massive downfall.  I will take you through the play-by-play of how it all goes down, and my experience using Skittles to bring me back up...
Think of my energy as being a volatile stock-market.  Since, time is money, and lost energy is lost time, hopefully you can relate...  (Or am I just over analyzing this?)

BEFORE

So, typically, my day starts out slowly.  The alarm on my phone goes off.  I've now figured out that I like to go back to sleep and snooze it three times, so I set it 30min earlier than necessary.

I won't pretend to be nearly as cute and cuddly, but I'm hoping to demonstrate that feeling where you're just not ready to wake up yet...


From there, I like to go through my daily routine:  shower, get dressed, brush my teeth, breakfast, head off in my ride.  I'm feeling like the day is only going to keep "going up," like my energy is only going to skyrocket!

With all the optimism in the world, I go about all the tasks of my day...

THE BIG CRASH

The big crash comes during a meeting, with a few producers, as we go over the camera budget for their shoot.  Most of this stuff doesn't concern me, and it's all boring.  I've felt this feeling before...

It hits me like a ton of bricks.  Usually triggered by a combination of a warm/stuffy environment, or a dull presentation, or having to sit too much, and next thing I know, I'm falling asleep.  A perfect example of something that makes me nod off is the teacher from Ferris Bueler's Day Off. 
"Bueler? ...Bueler? ...Bueler?"

"Noooooooo!"  The crash is taking place now.  I feel all energy leaving my body, first my fingers get internally itchy, in the way only someone whose had a broken arm can describe.  Then my limbs get tingly, as I stare around the room for something to wake me up, or at least keep me focused.  At this point, I'm being honest with myself:  all I want is a nap!  And I start, like a skydiver, plummeting down.

My feet are now starting to get numb, and my eyelids get heavy.  I am free falling into slumber, trying to catch wind, to keep me afloat, but it's no use.  I am doomed to embarrass myself in this meeting.  I probably could get fired, or at least jeopardize the contract.  I reach for the Skittles in my pocket, and...

RECOVERY
...opening the Skittles bag, I take a handful of the precious morsels (purposefully getting as many of the lime ones in the mix as possible-they're my favorite) and pour the mixture into my mouth.  Instantly, a burst of energy EXPLODES in my mouth.  So many flavors, songs, and feelings erupt in my head.
It's like a huge REMIX of feelings:  I feel alive, and awake.  I am happy.  I am at ease, too.  I think about my future, my aspirations, my friends, my pets.  Everything comes together, and it feels amazing.  I am clear headed and present.
I've made it through!  The meeting is over, and now I've got my FREEDOM!  I can go out and play, as it were.  5 p.m. has never come faster!  I am ready to take on the world...

P.S.:  It turns out that there is an incredible amount of energy being released from a single Skittle, as I learned from this chemistry teacher....









2 comments:

  1. Really love the Ferris Bueler vid. That's exactly how it is with some teachers. The Chem Teacher and his expirment was really cool too.

    ReplyDelete