I'm a kindergarten teacher and my day starts the second I walk into school. I prepare everything for the days' lessons, running around like a chicken with my head cut off. I'm focused but scatter-brained at times while I'm getting ready for the kids.
Once the 8:55AM bell rings, my 25 kindergartens are balls full of energy streaming into the classroom. Attendance and lunch, our February songs, calendar and morning routine get the day started. The kids are all working at their tables and it starts... He said, she said, ____'s not my friend, my tummy hurts, I need a pencil, I need more glue, I wasn't listening, what do I do? When is lunch? Do we have gym today? Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! They are driving my crazy!!!!!!!!
Britney Spears - "Crazy!"
My head is spinning like a merry-go-round at a theme park on school field trip day. It's 10:55AM and thank goodness its time to spend the constant questioners to lunch. Its my first opportunity of the day to hear my own thoughts clearly instead of theirs. Pick. Me. Up. Now!!!!!!
DURING:
Skittles to the rescue. I thought it would always be my students who would turn to candy for a sugar rush pick me up. I can't get up to my classroom, particularly my tucked away office, to start my lunch and to devour sweets quick enough. I, Ms. Newell, turn to Skittles Original candies. I rip open the top of the wrapper and pour the bite size fruity candies into the palm of my hand. I notice the colors and amount of each color that spills out. I grab for the flavors I like least, green and yellow, to save my favorites for last, purple, orange, and red. After popping the Skittles into my mouth, the sweetness attacks my taste buds, then my cheeks, down my throat to spread to my stomach. It makes me what to JUMP around my office and hope no one walks in. Hello sugar high!!!!
Van Halen - "Jump!"
AFTER:
My sugar high has got me revved up and ready to pick up my kids from lunch and to make it through the afternoon to 2:45PM. My kids seem quieter, calmer, transformed by their full tummies and social time. Is it them or the Skittles?! I think it's a little bit of both. I'm quieter, calmer, and transformed by the sweetness of the fruit flavors still lingering on my tongue. My day is brighter and bubblier making my kids' game of 100 questions more bearable. Thank you Skittles, you saved my day and my voice!!!!! I wouldn't be able to get through the second half of my day without candy.
Glee - "My Life Would Suck Without You!"
As a first grade teacher, trust me -- I know where you're coming from! My experience was similar, check it out, it's the second or third one posted. Except, alright, I admit it, I'm not a huge fan of Skittles.
ReplyDelete